Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Career

Has anyone else ever had the feeling that the four years spent in college was a waste as you are not doing what you really want to do? I’m having an internal conflict with this. I went to Penn State, which was the best four years of my life, majoring in Chemical Engineering. I really didn’t want to major in ChemE but my dad kinda “nudged” me into it because he didn’t want me to major in just chemistry, which is what I really wanted to be in. Well it turns out I hated ChemE and it wasn’t as much chemistry as I was hoping, thus being talked into engineering again, I went into Ag and Bio engineering. I was finally happy with my major…the professors were awesome, my peers were some of the best people I’ve ever met, and the work was challenging but interesting.

I moved onto a career as a Civil and originally worked for FEMA (sorta) and another company where I did stuff I was interested in, however my interest started to decline, particularly in this last year. I’m now out of school for 4.5 years and I need a new career NOW! I am so disgusted with my current job that every hour I’m there is an hour closer to me going insane. I have been working at this job for about 10 months and I really really really hate it, actually “hate” is not strong enough of a word. (on a side note, I was at first concerned about putting this up here as some of my coworkers, that are friends, have access to this, but I just don’t care anymore, I’m just that miserable with this current employer) Thus, this makes me think, do I hate engineering because this job is SO awful, or do I truly just dislike the whole industry? Should I stick it out and find a new job that could possibly be better or find a new career? Well I think I partially found my answer last Friday.

Last week I had an interview with another company, as I’m on the phone and they’re asking me the typical interview questions, a feeling of dread came upon me. Why am I doing this? Why am I on the phone with another company for anther engineering position? I shouldn’t have been thinking these things I should have been happy at the prospect of moving on to a new experience. Yup, big red flag went up immediately. I am definitely very unhappy with my career prospects and need something better.

So, what should I do? I’m very very interested in biology and chemistry and just generally how people and the world works on a scientific level. I find myself migrating toward some type of medical field whether it be dentistry, optometry, PT, or PA…these are my top choices. So should I take the plunge and do a career move? This prospect excites me so much, thus I’m thinkin’ it would be a good option. However, the ever looming worry of money hangs over my head. If I go back to school, how will I make money? What will I do with the financial obligations I have like my car, rent, student loans, etc…? how will I pay for school itself? And another big question, what about my age? I mean, I’m no spring chicken and I would like to have a family before I’m 40. Is putting real life on hold for another four years a viable option? Is there anyone out there who can give advice?

Well I was always told by my parents that I should have a career I love; something I look forward to most mornings upon waking up...this is not how I feel. I know more thought needs to go into this but I can’t help to want this change now. I know I need to be patient but it is just so hard. I have faith that sooner or later I will end up in a profession/job that I will love, but that time can’t come soon enough.

No comments: